Dienstag, 1. August 2017

John Lee Hooker Today?

Bildergebnis für hugo Race

I have to admit that I am not a fan of blues/blues rock. Since my youngest days there was a club in our town formed in the rebellion years of 1968/69.  Formed as a forum for literally, political and music the club is still alive. In the 70's/80's the music was ruled by jazz and blues. A lot of great artists appeared there and I was lucky enough to listen to some great blues musicians from Europe and America. The last concert I went to in the club was by Robben Ford and it was blues pure. He played his songs in a great way but it didn't fit to me and I went after 30 minutes. Since then I didn't listen to blues at all except the old masters from decades gone by. A few weeks ago I got aware that Hugo Race made a blues record together with Michelangelo Russo called John Lee Hooker's World Today. To be honest, I didn't know Russo before and I knew Hugo Race from his works with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. The more I was surprised what came to my ears. It is a tribute to JLH but not in the way re-recording his songs like Boom Boom once again. No it is more a very own and unique interpretation of his kind of songs. Race and Russo play a very noir kind of blues probably Hooker would do right now. The music in addition is orchestrated blues, psychedelic with a lot of feeling, Spartan and always against the growing darkness. Long, fading away, eerie guitar sounds, stoic pumping bass play, timed percussions added with breathy vocals and some keyboards both coming from the depth. Presumably I am too euphoric, however, this album is for a few days on heavy rotation in my house and probably one of the best one this year so far.



2 Kommentare:

The Swede hat gesagt…

A very interesting sound Walter, but I can't help wishing that Mark Lanegan was singing, just to give it that slightly rougher edge. I was lucky enough to see John Lee Hooker in 1982, on a bill with Bobby Blue Bland and BB King.

Charity Chic hat gesagt…

A mighty impressive line up there Swede